I want to talk about strength. I want to talk about why it’s important , why we should think about it and why we should foster and protect it.
We need our strength to live life well. We need it to make the right choice when a wrong one tempts us. We need it when fear tries to prevent us from doing something we want or need to do. We need it when the task at hand is difficult and when there is work to be done.
You know this. Obviously we need strength for life. But on a given day are you more likely to build your strength or give it away? The value of strength may be obvious to us but we don’t think about it very much. Being able to answer yes or no to the question of strength’s value is different than demonstrating it’s value with your actions.
Training the body is hugely important. Physical strength is something every man should pursue to his own abilities. We can’t assume we’ve got it covered though simply because we work out a few times a week. Most of the strength we will need in our lives is not physical but mental and spiritual–the kind that tests our character and not your our.
Okay, so strength=good=obvious. We get that far easily but there are follow up questions that we shouldn’t neglect: Where does my strength come from? Am I strong/how strong am I? How do I get stronger? What saps my strength? These are questions we need to ask our selves.
I want to make a few statements to get you thinking more about strength:
- We need our strength when we are under attack and I want you to realize that, for most of your life, you and your strength will be under attack. Most of these attacks are subtle.
- Others in our lives need our strength as well. Strength is integral to who we are as men and a primary offering we will make in our lives.
- Sometimes, it seems easier to just abandon our strength because living from it as we should can require us to do scary or hard things.
- You need to receive strength from other men and other men will need strength from you.
- We need to be intentional about getting stronger.
Our strength is the perfect place to start in a discussion about being men. It defines us.